Saturday 21 July 2012

Film Event: The Dark Knight Rises

 It's now been nearly 20 years since I first experienced a true cinematic event in my lifetime. At the age of 8 I was fortunate enough to get to watch Stephen Spielberg's visionary great Jurassic Park on the big screen. I think for most 8 year old boys, dinosaurs are pretty much the greatest thing imaginable at that age. The film managed to live up to all that anticipation I had built up for myself before watching it in an American cinema. I have since intermittently experienced similar levels of excitement for movies over the years, the 20 year anniversary release of the Star Wars trilogy, then the disappointment of The Phantom MenaceThe Lord of the Rings trilogy held a similar level of interest for me, and delivered to a certain extent. More recently both The Bourne Ultimatum and The Dark Knight have provided me with the excitement and adrenaline of going to the cinema, albeit nowhere near the levels as an 8 year old boy. Both these films did deliver and met my expectations, which has now only heightened my expectations for The Dark Knight Rises. Not only due to my enjoyment of it's predecessor, but also the fact it is the finale of Christopher Nolan's and Christian Bale's involvement with the franchise. I've been following the progress of this movie for a couple of years now. Learning who would be cast as Catwoman, was an event in itself; as well as learning which other villains would be involved. I think it's fair to say that The Dark Knights Rises was the biggest movie event of my life since Jurassic Park, and the following is a fantastic trailer for the film, that encompasses all 3 films; my review follows below:

 As soon as the film's production logos came up, I felt this great sense of anticipation burst into one massive feeling of expectancy, something which I've rarely before experienced. Immediately the film dives straight into action, and as seemingly with all Nolan films it's just a case of watching the plot unravel. I make no bones about it, from the very first moments the film sets the tone for the finale. It's uncompromising in it's intensity, and is by far the darkest, most sombre of Nolan's trilogy. Most of this is down to Tom Hardy's Bane, who is by far Batman's fiercest most terrifying energy. He physically looks unbreakable, and the menacing masked voice he bellows adds so much to the character. Bane never lets up for the entire film, every time he's on screen it's slightly unnerving, there is no comic relief like Ledger's Joker. That's not say it's a bad thing, it suits the film perfectly, but I think Ledger managed to garner more warmth from the audience due to the character's charisma and "theatrics". I've read a few criticism that his voice was hard to understand, I don't understand this criticism at all, it was what was required and I had no trouble hearing.
 We soon meet Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway), who at first I was a bit apprehensive about, but she soon had me entrapped in her showmanship and cuteness akin to Julie Newmar's own interpretation in the 1960's series. Unlike Batman Returns we don't get much of Kyle's back story, which I think was a good move by Nolan as it would have made the film exasperating to watch, and it was needless. Here she is just as morally ambiguous, which is part of your allure, as well as her captivating effect on Batman. I think a lot of people, especially the men, will enjoy Hathaway in this film, she does manage to make the role her own.
 Most of the regular cast return and give their usual strong performances, and of course there's Batman himself Christian Bale. The story takes place eight years after the events of The Dark Knight, with Bruce Wayne now a limping recluse, he is forced to don the mask once more after the rise of Bane in the Gotham underworld. He again provides a great performance as the iconic hero, with the usual amount of angst-ridden inner turmoil, along with his usual journey to revelation. Again, this isn't a criticism, this is the formula that's worked so well for the franchise, and why stop it? It drives character development and the story so well and is just embolic of Nolan's movie making brilliance.

 The action sequences are pulsating and easier to follow than most modern action flicks. Though maybe nothing quite as original or inventive as before, they still serve a purpose; especially intertwined with the complex plot twists. The great thing about Nolan, is that he doesn't simply rely on CGI all the time to show implausible things, which keeps Batman grounded and believable. The CGI he does use, is also of great quality and blends with the film seamlessly, it never seems superfluous; unlike other big budget action flicks.
 The intensity of the film is such that every moment of this near 3 hour films, feels like something important and of merit. It is both pulsating and large scale, but also emotional and intimate. This is only enhanced at being something special with the use of Hans Zimmer's now trademark score. The majority of moments in the film, feel powerful and there is that feeling of "edge of your seat" stuff almost constantly. Nothing however, ever feels overblown, and whilst it is sentimental at times, it just about avoid falling into The Return of the King trap of dragging out the end, just because it's the finale of a successful franchise. It's touching, but not overwrought with twee gestures that are just cringeworthy. It does come close, especially in the closing stages, but it manages to maintain it's composure and in my opinion the film manages provide the audience with something satisfying. Nolan is a clever director, but thankfully he doesn't try to be to clever, and the film ultimately feels like part of the trilogy.

 Criticism wise, I suppose the film doesn't quite match The Dark Knight in terms of flow and maybe this sequel tries to pack a bit too much in. It is certainly very close to it's predecessor, but again the tone is a bit too heavy through, which maybe makes it not as rewatchable too. Another disappointing aspect was Marion Cortillard's performance, whilst it was passable, at times I felt she really struggled against the bravado of all her contemporary co-stars. She was a bit too lacklusture at times for me and lacked screen presence. There were also a few moments that I will need to watch again, as at the time, a few things were a bit stretched.
 As much as I didn't care for Cortillard, I felt the inclusion of Joseph Gordon Levitt's character John Blake, was a welcomed addition, as he managed to compliment the script well and was the driving force for much of the movie. It was another strong performance from Levitt, who seems to able to give his action roles that bit more gravitas than other actors of his ilk.

 Overall I can only reiterate how much anticipation I held for this film; probably the most I've had since Star Wars Episode 1 or even Jurassic Park; but this film lived up to this expectation. It's one of the few films to have been able to deliver to such a high pedestal I set for it. Whilst it's not quite one of the very best films ever made, or even the best of the trilogy; it is a fully satisfying affair and conclusion to easily the greatest superhero franchise ever commited to screen. For the few faults it does have, these are more outweighed by the enthralling, action packed and well developed story that ensues for it's near 3 hour runtime. Christopher Nolan has done it again, I just hope Warner Brothers don't do anything to tarnish his legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment